Our mission is “to build and strengthen families and their children, instilling hope for the future and a better quality of life.” Maine families and their children are our top priority. We fully recognize that we have many partners in this work, which include our staff, volunteers, committee members and community supporters. We are engaged in many conversations on how best to provide services and support and to put safety first. COVID-19 is calling all of us to serve and take care of each other — we will always put children and families first.
In a time of 24/7 news and social media, we encourage everyone to take care of their own personal well-being and mental state by focusing on what you can control (for example simple cleaning procedures, personal hygiene, helping others and reaching out to family and friends). We need to focus on what we can control — one day at a time.
For the near future, we are in a “new normal.” We need to all be switching our thinking about our services and considering how best to meet needs and limit social contact, while also maintaining best health and safety procedures.
We will make updates to this page as needed as well as provide resources and referrals to assist families seeking additional guidance and support during this challenging time.
General Parenting Information & Resources: (Link to Anti-Racism Resources)
Proactive Engagement: The Adoptive Parent’s Responsibility When Parenting a Child of a Different Race
- Adoption Program Virtual Care Package
- Maine Equal Justice Resources
- Take the Time to Refresh & Renew (from Creating a Family)
- On Resilience and Coronavirus (by Dr. David Cross)
- Kids Guide to COVID-19 (by Slim Goodbody)
- What you need to know about COVID-19
- Nature-Based Educational Tools & Activities
- Virtual Field Trip (from Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife)
- Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus
- Community Food Resources & Maine Farm Products
- Adoptive Families Resources
- The "Pause" Button (from Halo Project)
- What to do if you are sick with COVID-19
- Stop germs! Wash your hands fact sheet