Sharing joy and winter warmth with kids and families
Christmas Program at Maine Children's Home (MCH) is the only one of its kind that provides warm clothing and winter essentials along with brand new toys, books, and games to more than 1,500 Maine children whose families are facing financial hardship. This program Is truly a year-round effort of love and caring that is made possible only by the generosity of so many people — donors, volunteers, and community supporters.
At Maine Children’s Home, we see this special program as a way to bring a little relief to families during a stressful time, and as a way to provide families with tools for play, connection, and comfort.
Support the Program During Christmas in July!
Since our Christmas Program requires so many hours of organizing and planning to supply boxes of gifts to more than 1,500 children, it is important that donations to the program come earlier in the year than during the holiday season. This is why MCH has a Christmas in July campaign, to spread the spirit of giving throughout the year, and to collect much needed coloring books, crayons, colored pencils, and board games to set the program up for a successful season.
Here Are the Three Ways You Can Help:
1. Purchase an item on our Amazon Wishlist
2. Make a monetary donation to the Christmas Program
3. Drop off a gift at a participating credit union (listed below) or at our campus
This year's Christmas in July campaign is calling for donations of:
- Jumbo coloring books for children ages 2 – 4 years old
- Coloring books for children ages 4 – 12
- Colored pencils
- Board games for children of all ages
We accept only new items for donations. Used items may need to be thrown away because of the current health crisis. If you're not dropping your donation off at a participating credit union, please leave your donations on the porch of the MCH Development building (Building #3 at 93 Silver Street; Waterville, ME 04901) with a note including the donor's name and address. Our current hours to accept donations are Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The credit unions participating as drop off locations are:
- CUSO Home Lending
- 101 Western Avenue, Hampden, Maine
- Franklin Somerset Credit Union
- 20 Main Street, Madison, Maine
- 485 Wilton Road, Farmington, Maine
- 476 Main Street, Kingfield, Maine
- 26 Leavitt Street, Skowhegan, Maine
- KSW Federal Credit Union
- 222 College Avenue, Waterville, Maine
- New Dimensions Federal Credit Union
- 94 Silver Street, Waterville, Maine
- 72 Cony Street, Augusta, Maine
- 316 Benton Avenue, Winslow, Maine
- 245 Madison Avenue, Skowhegan, Maine
- Connected Credit Union
- 85 Civic Center Drive, Augusta, Maine
- 12 Monument Street, Winslow, Maine
- Central Maine Credit Union
- 1000 Lisbon Street, Lewiston, Maine
- 40 Stanley Street, Auburn, Maine
- cPort Credit Union
- 399 Western Avenue, Augusta, Maine
- Sabattus Regional Credit Union
- 2 Middle Road, Sabattus, Maine
Thank you to all of these credit unions for participating as drop off locations, and thank you to Maine State Credit Union for being a sponsor of our Christmas Program.
If you are a participating credit union and need more flyers, you can download a PDF here: Christmas in July half-sheet flyer
The 2020 Holiday Season was Another Success!
In an average year, Christmas Program at MCH distributed boxes of gifts and clothing to more than 1,500 children throughout the state.
In 2020, we have reached 1,560 Maine children with YOUR help and generosity!
We often struggle to collect donations early on — well before Christmas (in 2020, we started packing boxes in October!) — and boxes need to be completed by the second week of December. It’s never too late or too early to donate. Christmas Program at MCH is a year-long effort, and we gratefully welcome donations anytime. All items donated should be newly purchased and in original packaging free of dents, tears, or dirt.
We only accept new items for donation. Used donations may need to be thrown away because of the current health crisis. Please leave your donations on the porch of the Development building (Building #3) with a note including donor's name and address. Our current hours to accept donations are M-F 9am-3pm.
For more information about Christmas Program at MCH, please contact us by calling 207-873-4253 (option 5, Development Office) (extension 217) or via email.
Thank You to Our Sponsor:
We are very thankful for the support of the Kennebec Valley Chapter of Credit Unions that helped collect gifts for our holiday assistance program during the month of July! This is a great boost toward the thousands of items needed for this year. Thank you to the participating credit unions for 2020: Winslow Federal Credit Union, Connected Credit Union, and Maine State Credit Union!